Friday, March 8, 2013

Paying the Fiddler

A friend of mine once very colorfully described the hangover he was experiencing as "I could shit through a screen door and not leave a stain." That's about how I'm feeling this morning.

We went to see Joe, a family friend, last night. Joe is 70 or 71, and he has bought season tickets to the local baseball team for himself and the wife for the past few years. He doesn't go to many of the games, but when he does he likes going with her because 1) she drives and 2) they can talk baseball.

I've done pretty well the past few months cutting back on my drinking, especially during the week. But going to Joe's means I'm going to have at least three beers. Last night I had four, and if I'd stopped there I would have been fine.

But of course I didn't stop there. We left Joe's and by the time we got home I knew I was ready to cut loose! Some fair amount of bourbon later, I stumbled to the spare room (I snore loud under the best of circumstances, and it's much worse when I'm drunk, so I use the spare room on nights like that to spare the wife) and passed out.

I'm paying for it this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment