Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekend Update



Other than the results of a couple sports events, the weekend wasn’t bad. The wife and the niece both worked Saturday morning, so I had some rare time for myself. Of course I took advantage of the opportunity and had a nice, leisurely jerk-off session. I also got the majority of the grocery shopping done and puttered around the house for a while until the wife got home. We went out for a quick, fast-food lunch, then came home and relaxed the rest of the day.
Unfortunately I got to watch Virginia Tech lose to an unranked, mediocre Duke. I honestly wasn’t surprised at all; I told my coworkers two weeks ago that if the Hokies broke the top 15, they’d lose to anybody, including Duke. There’s something about Tech and the way they play when they have a chip on their shoulder versus the way they play when they’re comfortable. I like the chip-on-the-shoulder VT very much; I don’t like the comfortable VT. Now they are out of the top 25, and rightly so.
But it’s just football, and college football at that, so I wasn’t going to let that ruin the rest of the day. I made Cajun sausage and shrimp pasta for dinner from a recipe the wife found on Facebook, and it turned out really good. The niece insisted that she wouldn’t eat it if I cooked the shrimp with the rest of the dish, because she doesn’t like shrimp and even the flavor of it in the meal would turn her off.
I was tempted to tell her to find her own damned dinner, but the wife suggested I cook the shrimp separately and we could add it after dishing out the niece’s. It made it more work for me, but I reluctantly agreed. The point of having it all together is to get the blend of flavors! But it was still good, and the niece got to enjoy it as well. We finished the night with some drinks and more college football, and went to bed pretty early even for us.
Sunday morning I dumped a bunch of ingredients into the slow cooker for a homemade chicken and dumplings while making waffles and sausage for breakfast. (When I complain again about my weight, which I certainly will do, you have my permission to refer back to all these meals I talk about making.) I had to run over to my parent’s house to fix their internet connection, and while we were out we made a few more stops but were home in plenty of time for the 1:00 kickoff of the Cowboys/Lions game. I had a feeling the ‘Boys would keep the game close but lose it in the end just to fuck with me, and damned if that’s not exactly what they did. It seems I’m just destined to root for teams that wind up being average or worse.
But the chicken and dumplings turned out good, and I’m looking forward to some leftovers for lunch today. The Eagles and the Redskins lost, so it wasn’t a complete bust of a football weekend. And I got laid before the wife and I went to sleep. So I can’t really complain, all in all.
How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. In spite of the outcome, that last drive with no timeouts by Matt Stafford was a classic. The 'boys just got caught with their pants down.

    Those chicken and dumplings sound good. Haven't had that in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And James, it's so incredibly easy to make. The only "cheat" is using canned biscuits for the dumplings instead of making them from scratch. If you want the recipe I'll be glad to send it.

      Delete