Thursday, October 24, 2013

Darker Smiles


I’ve written before (recently, I think) that I like when the weather gets cooler because it means I can cook with the oven again. I also love that so many food options open up again that really don’t work that well during the hotter months, like soups and casseroles.
The bad part about the change of seasons, though, is the lack of sunlight. I don’t mind the cold, and I’m one of those idiots who love the snow (especially driving in it), and even the wind doesn’t bother me that much. But between the shorter days and the dark gray skies, the long periods without sunlight just really drag me down.
I don’t think I have full-blown Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or anything, and I feel bad for those who do. But I am usually down more than up this time of year, and I have a more negative outlook about everything, including myself, than I do in the spring and summer. I try to hide it, but I don't think I do a very good job of it.
It’s not all doom and gloom; I still have fun doing certain things. I generally enjoy Halloween, and though I always eat too much (thereby increasing my own self-disgust) I love Thanksgiving. Christmas is kind of a mixed bag for me; there’s the family and food aspect, but gift-giving is always so stressful because more often than not we don’t have much money and even when we do have money I simply have no idea what to get anybody. I wind up giving gift cards, but it seems so pointless if everyone else is doing the same thing. I’d like to suggest doing away with gift-giving altogether with my family, but then I’d feel like a cheapskate.
On top of that, as an Atheist I keep getting conscripted into the “War on Christmas.” Bill O’Reilly assures me that it happens every year, so it must be true.
This year there are some work-related things to look forward to that I haven’t had before. The employee stock purchase program should give the wife and I a nice little lump of money at the end of November, which I’ll use for Christmas gifts and to pay down some of the smaller bills. Also, there’s a decent chance of getting a bonus this year; it’s not guaranteed but signs are promising. The company didn’t pay out bonuses last year to the rank-and-file employees, but since I was a new hire I wouldn’t have gotten anything regardless. And I should see a pay rise, though it will most likely be pretty modest. I’m thinking 1.5% to 3% because it’s based on my own performance as well as the performance of my division as a whole.
So I’m trying to stay as positive as I can about things, and keep my spirits up. I know I have no right to bitch about things; plenty of people have it worse than I do. But the next three or four months are going to be a battle.

2 comments:

  1. Get one of the Vitemin D lamps the Alaskan kids use, get lots of exercise drink lots of water, and find a reason to be outside as much as possible. The last one doesn't do much but if you are cold you don't think about how dark it is. I don't like the dark so much either, I hate feeling like i have to be quiet after 5:00. I make noise in my garage until 10pm during the summer, why doesn't that rule hold during the winter?

    Anyway, good luck. Treat yourself well, stay healthy, and enjoy the sun between 10a and 3p. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twins again. In this case, Late September to mid November are the most beautiful times of year down here in south-central Texas because we have sort of a fall-like season with temps in the 70's. It is simply wonderful. But then the Holiday season starts and I go into my annual holiday funk. I simply hate it from the time I see the first Christmas commercial in August (okay, just a slight exaggeration). Being in th military for so many years and working shifts during holidays just killed it for me. My wife calls me the Grinch.

    Advizor54 gives good advice - more water, less liquor this time of year.

    ReplyDelete