Friday, October 25, 2013

Delusions of Grandeur


I used to play guitar when I was in my teens (what teen didn’t, amiright?) and though I was never that good at playing well-known songs, I did write my own. Before going into the Army, I had a notebook full of stupid, angsty-teen poetry set to ridiculously simple chord progressions. I wasn’t talented enough to play anything complex, and I was too lazy to work at it enough to become talented. I took lessons briefly at a local music shop, and even won a talent competition through them with an original song, but I couldn't stick to the lessons because I'd get distracted going on tangents and writing more songs.
I never really lost my drive to write songs, even though I rarely play anymore. Most of the time I work on a line or two mentally, enjoying a little word play, then discard everything. When I’m really into it I’ll pick up my usually forgotten guitar in the basement, tune it up, and run some rifts while I think of words to go along with whatever sound comes out of it. I'll get bored or distracted soon enough and the bug leaves me, and I neglect the guitar for another year or so.
About 15 years ago my wife and I used to hang out with a woman she worked with and her husband. He’s an outstanding banjo player, and he has a bunch of friends who all play various instruments at skill levels far above anything I could ever hope to achieve. Sometimes I’d take my guitar and sit in with them, trying to follow along as best I could with the chord progressions. They didn’t seem to mind that I was off a lot of times, and there were a few songs that I could sing pretty well because they were in my vocal range. Mostly they played bluegrass or “old time country” (a subtle but distinct difference), and when you get immersed in it like I did it tends to grow on you.
It grew on me so much that I decided to write my own “bluegrass” song. I never could get the chords right to match what I heard in my head, and I didn’t feel confident enough to play it for the guys so they could help me work it out, but I did think the lyrics were pretty good. So, for your amusement, I present my first foray into bluegrass:
How Could You Tell Me that You Love Me
I knew when we first met that we would marry
We’d live our lives in perfect harmony.
I loved you just as much as I could, dear
But not enough to keep you here with me.
(Chorus)
You said that you would stay with me forever
I’d never face this world on my own.
How could you tell me that you love me
Then go and leave me here all alone?
They say for every man there is one woman
And after all of this I guess it’s true.
‘Cause I can’t stand to spend my time without you
The only woman I’ll ever want is you.
(Chorus)
Our friends all say I should be happy for you
But I can hear the sorrow in their tone.
How could you tell me that you love me
Then go and leave me here all alone?
(Now you’ll have to imagine a kick-ass bluegrass break here, with competing solos from the banjo and either a mandarin or really good guitar player. If it’s recorded, give it about 45 seconds. If it’s live, it could go ten minutes or longer and involve everything including the jug.)
You said that we would meet again someday, love
And begged me not to follow you too soon
But I can’t live another day without you
I’m joining you beneath this dying moon.
(Chorus)
The ground you’re lying in is cold and barren
but not as dark and empty as our home.
How could you tell me that you love me
Then go and leave me here all alone?
I didn’t do a FFF with the Halloween theme this week, but maybe this will be a good substitute.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I too grew up on bluegrass and old school country music thanks to my Dad. Takes me back. Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete