Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cutting Loose


The wife and I are going to see L and B this weekend, probably spending the night Saturday night. It doesn’t seem likely that any shenanigans could occur, because it not only depends on opportunity but also L’s feelings about it at the time. But I’ve been surprised before, so who knows? I will, of course, report anything interesting (or boring, for that matter) in my weekend update next week.
I’d told L earlier in the week that the wife and I were coming down to visit some of our favorite shops there, and that we’d like to hang out if they aren’t busy. She suggested we spend the night and said maybe we could have a fire as well. I said I’d bring a big old bottle of wine, just for the wife, and L said “Yea, so she’ll chill out!” I responded “chill out, pass out… whatever.” That got a laugh from L.
It sounds mean, but it’s true: the wife needs to chill out more. I don’t care if she drinks or not, but if she’s got a little buzz going she’s a lot more fun to be around. Otherwise, she just watches and gives the impression that she’s judging everyone else. It gets oppressive, and we just want to cut loose! L and I discussed that part of it, then she said “And I hope B behaves!” meaning she hopes he doesn’t become the overbearing jock dude that he usually does when he’s drinking. You know the type: bullying and laughing at everyone, in that big, booming laugh like he’s the life of the party.
Then L said “Can we just not invite them? Lol.” (She didn’t literally *say* “lol;” we were texting so she wrote that.) I said that B and the wife would actually make a good couple, which L agreed, and I said if they did get together, it would just make economic sense for L and me to get a place together to share expenses. I was joking of course (mostly).
This morning L and I were chatting on Facebook. She mentioned that she was Googling marriage and couple weekend retreats for her and B and she’d texted him to see if he’d be interested. I said if there was one where he could drink and everyone told him “you’re right” he’d be all for it. We joked back and forth about that, then she asked when we were coming down Saturday. I said “anytime you want us. I’d come Friday night if I could, so you say what time.” She laughed and said “Well you come on down Friday and B and [the wife] can meet us sometime Saturday.” I said “Could you imagine? Actually, I do!”
That set us off to start a different version of the “remember when” game. The “remember when” game, if I haven’t explained it before, is where L or I will say ‘remember when we were kids and we…” Usually this comes up when we’re planning to do something together for the first time, like going to the annual fair, Christmas parade, or the like. It’s our way of pretending that we did grow up together, and making up memories of those times. It’s fun for us, and we come up with some really outlandish “memories” sometimes.
Anyway, this time it was different; L started “remembering” ahead. She said if we ever did live somewhere together (as we’ve talked about before, but never more than half seriously) she imagines we would be the “fun” couple that everyone would be happy to see. I said we’d keep everyone in stitches, and they’d be like “I don’t know what it is about those two, but we always have more fun when they’re here.” She talked about us going to karaoke nights, and everyone wanting us to do the duets like we always do. I said that we’d act like “oh, no, nobody wants to hear us sing. Oh, okay.” And the crowd would hear the first few notes of our “signature” song and be like “Oh, boy!”
We kept on like that for a few minutes until it was time for both of us to start getting ready for work. I’ve been chuckling and grinning all morning, and I can’t wait to see her Saturday. Again, I don’t have much hope for any shenanigans, but it will be good to just be with her, cutting loose and cracking each other up.
Anybody have any ideas what we can do with B and the wife for a day or two?

No comments:

Post a Comment