Friday, October 18, 2013

FFF - Cat Eyes - 10/18


Required Phrase - "Follow the cat"
Word Limit - 225
Forbidden words - 
Pussy, Black, Halloween, Fear
Bonus Points - 
Keep the body count low (next week is different)
Extra Words - 
Make the cat her cat.
Just before Emily became fully awake, she heard a whisper: “Follow the cat.”
Her eyes flew open. That sounded just like… but no, it couldn’t be; he’d been dead for two weeks. She stretched, sliding her fingers through her sex and shivering at the remembered delight from her dream.
“Follow the cat.” Such an odd thing to hear in her dream. She sat up and looked through the open door into the hallway. The house Paul inherited was falling apart. He’d had some grand ideas on how to fix it up, but as usual it was just talk. He couldn’t stay focused long enough to start a project, much less see it through. “What cat?” she thought.
As if the thought beckoned it, an ebony cat padded into the hallway and stopped at her door. It sat and stared at her with its haunting green eyes, and she knew it wanted her to follow. Heart pounding, Emily rose and followed as the cat turned and darted down the hallway. The cat stopped in front of the closed door to what would have been their master bedroom. She opened the door and stepped inside.
“Paul!” she gasped. The room was freshly painted though there was no new paint odor. The colors were the ones she’d insisted on, despite Paul’s heated objections. The cat entered the room and rubbed against her leg, purring loudly.
Emily looked down at the cat. “I guess you’re mine now, huh? Or am I yours? Well, let’s see if we can find you something to eat.” Before following her out, the cat sniffed at the wall. The old, peeling paint was of little interest to it.
***********
My take is 279 words, but I don't know if I'm over the limit or not. I earned the bonus words, but as of Wednesday evening the number of extra words had not been specified. Actually, I might be taking the whole word count thing too seriously.
This is one of those stories that I would like to flesh out a little more and seeing where I could go with it. I probably won't, because I'm lazy, but I'd like to. Meanwhile, go to Advizor's site and read the other entries for the week.

5 comments:

  1. It has the bone structure of a longer piece. You should do it. I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does have the feel of a longer piece. Run with it ! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice writing. Great creative take on this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the word count is more of a guideline, and sometimes I like to be strict. I realized I didn't put anything with the "extra words" comment, but you made great use of all 279. I'd love to see this pushed out to a longer piece as well. Great foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats often lead to interesting things... Happy FFF!

    ReplyDelete