Friday, May 10, 2013

You Never Even Called Me by My Name

One of my pet peeves (there’s a lot of them, believe me) is when someone I don’t know, usually a waitress or fast-food worker, calls me “Hun”, “dear”, “sweetie”, etc. I can accept it coming from a woman 20-plus years or older than me, but I still wince a little. Let it be someone younger than me, though (and it’s increasingly likely they’ll be significantly younger than me) and it just pisses me off. Why? I don’t know; it just sounds condescending to me.

And please spare me the justifications for this, if you’re so inclined. I’ve heard them all, and it just doesn’t wash.  “That’s just how I was brought up!” Well, I was brought up that those are terms of endearment for family members or maybe close friends, not total strangers. “We’re told that we can get better tips using these names.” Oh, I love when someone blatantly tries to manipulate me in such a generic fashion. I love it so much I’m likely to forget to tip at all. “I call everyone that; I don’t mean anything by it.” So you can’t be bothered to treat people as individuals, and to offset that lack of respect you bring attention to it by hanging some cookie-cutter label on them? “Oh, well, actually, you’re the only person I’ve ever called that.” Okay, now that’s just creepy.

I get it, too; I’m in a very small minority, at least in the near-south where I live. Apparently everyone else I know either doesn’t care enough to let it bother them or they eat it up. It’s hard to impress on your waitress that you don’t want to be called “sugar” by anybody but your wife or the woman you want to bang later (hey, they could be the same person!) when everyone else at the table is telling you to lighten up and stop being an old curmudgeon (thanks, mom.)

And to the young twit at Logan’s Steakhouse that night who continued to call me “sweetie” even after I twice politely asked you to call me either “Rob” or “sir”, it wasn’t my idea to even let you know it was my birthday dinner in the first place (thanks again, mom!) So I was long past the mood where I would have been willing to stand up while you and six of your co-workers stood around singing your version of “Happy Birthday.” And my god-damned steak was overcooked to boot! I asked for medium-rare, not shoe leather!

For a while I kept trying to come up with an answering “name” that would drive home the point that I didn’t appreciate this behavior, but with no success. Parroting back the same word to them, a “sweetie” for a “sweetie”, didn’t faze them in the least. I attempted to up the ante and calling them “lover” or “baby”, but even that didn’t get a rise. “Sugar tits” might have work, and some of the reactions were funny, but the bruising from all the punches the wife gave me when I said it wasn’t worth the effort.

Then it came to me: from now on, I will simply call the offenders by name. Not their name, mind you; just any name that comes to mind. It’s especially effective if they are wearing a name tag, because then I’m sure I won’t accidentally use their actual name.

“Here’s your soda, sweetie.”

“Thanks, Matilda.”

“Oh,” pointing at her name tag, “it’s actually Cindy.”

“Well, Jan, my name isn’t ‘sweetie’ but that doesn’t seem to bother you.”

*blink*

It’s effective, it’s fun, and I don’t get punched in the arm. Fair warning, though: it’s usually best to do this after getting all of your food served, and you might not want to ask for many more refills on your soda.

But I’m not a complete dick; there are parts of me missing. And after they go back and tell their fellow “Hun” slingers what an asshole that guy at table 3 is, they’ll find I’ve left them a pretty good tip.

10 comments:

  1. Aw, I like it, but I guess that's cause I'm a yankee and it hardly ever happens. I suppose if I heard it every day it would start to lose its charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *ouch* Not sure where all the anger comes from but I've always been awkward in the presence of that much anger, esp. since you admit that you don't even know where it comes from. You do admit the possibility that "it just sounds condescending to me" which lets me know that at least it's coming from you.

    Which again seems awkward since your blog *seems* to be about finding out a positive way to live your life, whether it's concerning your sexuality, marriage or anything else that impacts your life. In your About Me section, you type " I like comments and emails, so feel free to do either." but you write in this post, "And please spare me the justifications for this, if you’re so inclined. I’ve heard them all, and it just doesn’t wash."

    So, in the midst of all your anger, you effectively tell your dear Readers (and there seems to be some rather nice people here) to S.T.F.U...

    You even call the server a twit.

    I don't have any justifications for you. I'd offer you some ideas, reflection and what not beyond what I've posted here but I'm confident that I've already crossed the line (as for as you're concerned) so please accept my apology and feel free to delete this Comment.

    Best of luck to you, however your Life plays out.

    I wish Strength and Vigor to everything you invite in your Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, anonymous. Let me clear that misconception up first off: I love comments (and emails), even if the person doesn't agree with me. I would never delete a comment, nor tell my reader S.T.F.U. in general. All I meant was I didn't want to hear any excuses for those types who call perfect strangers pet names. Feel free to criticize my response to it all you want, though. And if you have some insights on how to better deal with my anger, I'm all ears.

      I thought it was rather obvious from my blog as a whole that I do, indeed, have anger issues. (Though I don't think I have anger management issues so much as idiot management issues.) (That's a joke, anonymous.) (Well, mostly anyway.) If it hasn't been obvious in my blog as a whole, I will point out I started this post saying I have a lot of pet peeves. :-)

      You'd be awkward in the presence of that much anger? Heh. You'll not want to get in a car with me then!

      You did force me to think about the issue again, and I realize that it's not so much that it seems condescending as that it's just too familiar. Believe it or not, I can actually be rather pleasant at times, even at a restaurant. I can laugh and even flirt with the waitress, as long as we keep the boundaries. For me, "honey" or "sweetie" from someone who doesn't know me is crossing those boundaries.

      I don't call that particular server a twit because she called me "sweetie;" I call her a twit because after I politely asked her not to call me "sweetie", twice, she continued to do it. It didn't help that this 20-something twit said to my elderly step-father "And what can I get you to drink, young man?"

      So I hope I haven't run you off from reading more of my blog, and I certainly hope I haven't dissuaded you from future comments. I like your passive-aggressive style and look forward to more of it. :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,
    I was about to say to anon 10:36 to S.T.F.U, but decided against it. lol. I too, hate it when called, and it's usually someone other than a black person, calls me "Bro". What? Really? So I get where you're coming from on this post. I might try your suggestion and call them a different name other than their own. How about, Dick! or Richard, or better yet, how about Reggie? What do you think? Still lmao.
    BlkJack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BlkJack, but I am glad you didn't tell anon to S.T.F.U. I'm sure he/she meant well, and I've cleared up the confusion (I hope), so there's no need for animosity, hehe.

      Now that you mention it, I hadn't thought of how a black person might take me saying "bro." I don't use the word a lot, but I have said it here and there. I'll have to take that into consideration from now on. One big difference is that I would never say it to someone I didn't already know fairly well, and if they asked me to stop I would.

      Reggie is good, but Lamont might be better.

      Delete
  5. Rob -
    Read your blog for the first time today. You were recommended to me by Explorer Jack. I have to say, I like your dry wit! In fact, I love it!
    Can I relate a quick story?
    I went to a restaurant for lunch by myself once, and the waiter kept calling me "my fair young lady", in a very dramatic way. It got really irritating after about 3 or 4 times. I wondered if he was in a Shakespeare play or something, I mean really?!?!? So, I went on Yelp, and panned him hard. Loved the food, hated the service. The next time I went there, he was no where in sight. I asked my waitress if he still worked there, and she said he did not. I don't know if my review had anything to do with it, but it made me feel better!
    I can't wait for your next blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Girl Tuesday! I'm glad you enjoy my blog :-)

      That's funny about your waiter. He was definitely out of line. I'm betting you weren't the only one who ever complained about it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Oh, ha ha! Grr...

      Just kidding. You can call me "sweetie" all you want, Sassy! :-)

      Delete