Friday, May 31, 2013

Flash Fiction Friday - "The Impending Apocalypse" - 5/31


Key Phrase:  "the impending apocalypse"
Word limit = exactly 200 words per section
Must not use the word "Zombie" or any form thereof
Bonus Points for telling us how the world ends

“Suzi? You awake?” he asked.

“Hm mm,” she answered, which could have been interpreted as “yes” or “fuck off.”

“Do you remember how I used to tease you?”

“Hm mm.”

“You’d get mad, call me booger-brain,” he chuckled.

“You called me worse,” Suzi replied, rousing from her post-coital doze.

He smiled, remembering. “Only because you called me weird,” he answered, good naturedly.

“You were weird,” she assured him. “Always building those 'snowmen of the impending apocalypse' or some nonsense.”

“My analyst said that was good for me. Said it gave my over-active imagination a safe outlet.”

“Did she say anything about that stupid stuffed tiger you always carried around?” She regretted the words almost as soon as she said them.

“He wasn’t stupid,” he said quietly. “He was my only friend when everyone else thought I was too weird.”

Suzi thought about joking that having a stuffed tiger as a friend might have been why everyone thought he was weird, but decided against it. It might have been just a stuffed toy, but it was the reason they were together.

Hoping to head off another bad pout, Suzi leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Hobbes was a good friend, Calvin.” 

200 words exactly (as counted by MS Word). Not really an "end of the world" story, though I'm sure young Calvin would have thought so if he knew where he'd wind up.

Get over to Advizor54's blog to read his entry, as well as the others linked there. Check back during the day as more people will add on as the day goes on.

4 comments:

  1. You have a warped mind. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me hooked at the Snowmen of the Apocalypse! (And aren't they playing at The Whiskey next week?) It's sweet to think of Calvin and Suzie hooking up later in life. I like it a lot. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take. Made me smile and sigh. You've seen the Calvin grown-up comic homages, yes?
    http://nedhardy.com/2012/05/02/for-all-the-calvin-and-hobbes-fans-out-there/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great! I love the idea of Calvin all grown up and still being the warped bastard that he was as a kid... oh wait. I have sons like that. :)

    Good story, and I love how you fitted the phrase into play.

    ReplyDelete