Thursday, January 2, 2014

Moving Ahead

Happy New Year everyone. The wife and I did celebrate Tuesday night with a few friends, quietly here at home. I haven't had the opportunity to write like I'd wanted to this week; the wife was able to get bereavement leave as well, so I haven't had a good stretch of time alone to gather my thoughts. This is the first morning I've been up early enough before her that I have some time, but I have to work in time to jerk off too so I won't be writing a lot.

But I do want to catch everyone up on things: the family is still going through rough times, of course, but we're getting through it. My sister's youngest daughter, who is 13, has had it the worst of all of us I guess. Her oldest daughter, the niece who's been living with us, has been very strong for her brothers and her sister, and I can't tell you how proud I am of her and the way she's handled this all. My mother will be fine as well.

My middle sister and her family will be coming in from Kentucky later this evening, so we'll get to spend some time with them. I'll be glad to have her here; sharing past stories with the niece and other family members has helped, but nobody will understand like she will. I don't know if it's selfish on my part, but I really hope she and I can get a couple of hours to ourselves. I haven't cried yet, and I don't know if I will, but she's really the only person I think I could do it in front of and not feel too self-conscious.

The upshot is it's rough for the family right now, but we'll get through this together. I'll give more updates over the next few days when I can, and will write more extensively later next week when I'll have some time at work (after getting caught up on everything.)

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, to you Rob, for what it's worth. I guess there is never really good timing for an unexpected passing of a family member.

    Perhaps if you do get some good alone time with the middle sister, once the two of you have a good cry and all, you could broach the topic of L and the fact that she is at least a half sister. Sometimes, tragedy provides an opportunity for the healing of old wounds. Just a thought, of course, you know the situation better than me.

    Continued positive thoughts for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, still keeping you in my thoughts. Glad to here that your sister is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob,
    You're still in my thoughts and prayers. I know this has been a hell of a holiday for you and your family.

    Don't worry about crying. Some of us don't. As crass as it may seem, it was a long time before I cried after my parents passed away. Each of us deals with our feelings in our own way, and sometimes, crying isn't necessarily on the list.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete