Thursday, January 16, 2014

Yikes!

I found out something today about Gmail that I’m not particularly happy about. I have two different Gmail accounts; my normal one setup through my Android phone, and my “naughty” account, the one I have attached to this blog. They are completely separate, and in no way should they think I’m the same person either way.

However, today I was helping L with her resume, which she sent to my “real” account. I opened it on my computer (at work), fixed the resume, then sent it back. All of this was while I was logged into my “real” account. However, my reply went to her from my “naughty” account. Nowhere in the browser when I hit the “reply” function did it indicate that my reply was going from a different account than what the email came into. And on my work computer I have NEVER logged into the “naughty” account, so there really shouldn’t have been any association at all!

Now L is aware that I’ve been naughty and not just with her, so that part isn’t a big deal. However, my “naughty” account has “curiousinroanoke” and the name that shows up is “Curious Fellow.” Now we all know why I have “curious” in the name, but I really don’t want L to know about that! A few months ago when she accidentally saw that address, she immediately cued in on the “curious” part, and even stated “curious is the term used when someone thinks they’re bisexual.” Of all the times for her to become perceptive!

I told her that I created that email account when I created my Ashley Madison account, and that I was simply “curious” about AM. I think she bought it then. I hope she doesn’t start digging too much now that she’s seen “Curious Fellow”. I don’t know how easy it would be for her to find my blog based on any of the clues she has, but if she ever did find it she would immediately know it’s me. Especially if she read this post, I suppose.

Anyway, if you’re using separate Gmail accounts, keep a close eye on the accounts you’re sending from. And if you’re in Internet Explorer, don’t trust it!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I watch it VERY carefully. I've not seen that happen to me, but I'd read about it elsewhere. It's scary to think that Google can't keep them separate. And I have no idea why it happens. I hope your fallout is minimal. Oh, and I use Chrome and Firefox, with the accounts open in separate browsers.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 gmail accounts, and when I use my smart phone, I really have to be alert as to what account my replies are being replied from.
    So far, knock on wood, there have not been any issues on my home computer.
    The only think I havve to remember when checking each account, is to log out, clear the history, close my browser, and re-log in on the next account.
    If my wife ever found my blog, I would not have a cock any more.
    She would cut it off, stuff it down my throat and choke me to death with it.
    Hence, my alertness to covering my tracks.
    I hope all works out good for you Rob, and that "L" buys your story still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jay M. I use Firefox exclusively for my vanilla life and Chrome exclusively for my naughty life. Having them both up has saved me several times when my wife walked in the room unexpectedly and simply thought I was posting something to my vanilla blog. I posted a week ago about my whole Google + freak-out when I saw a name from my vanilla world pop up as a suggested friend for my naughty world. I simply don't know how that is possible and I'm sure Google won't tell me.

    On my phone, I have only vanilla e-mail accounts set-up under the regular e-mail icon and I have a separate G-mail icon several swipes away for logging into my JFBreak account.

    Even with these extra steps, I am constantly worried that Google and GMail are going to be smarter than me and somehow get everything connected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use separate browsers at home as well. But this was on my work computer, where I've never logged into the naughty account. There was no way cached information was to blame; somehow google has the two accounts linked together internally despite my not doing anything (that I'm aware of) to tie them together.

    And they want me to trust having a Google+ account?! Hell no! I can't take the chance they'd fuck that up and post something on Facebook or something!

    ReplyDelete