Friday, January 31, 2014

FFF - He Scores! - 1/31

Word Count: XLVIII for each quarter... so 192.
Bonus Words: Predict the final score and add the combined point total to your word count. So if you think it's going to be Broncos 30, Seahawks 24, give yourself 54 bonus words. (Just for reference, the most points ever scored in a Super Bowl is 75.)
Required Words: Tight end, wide open, muff
Forbidden Words: NFL, Super Bowl, Super Sunday.
Extra Credit: It matters who wins.

Alex watched anxiously as the clock ticked down to four minutes in the fourth quarter. Seattle led Denver 24 – 20, but that didn’t matter. Kelly said she and Sandy would do “something special” for him if a certain phrase was said before the game was over. So far they had not indicated that the phrase had been said, and he was starting to lose hope.

Both girls had tensed up when the announcer said the “wide receiver muffed the punt,” and again when he said the tight end should not have had so much room, and was “left open all by himself” in the middle of the field.

On the first play after the two minute warning, Manning dropped back to pass and found Welker streaking down the field, all alone. The crowd roared and the announcers were beside themselves, discussing the play even as Seattle, now down 27-24, took over but failed to score.

Alex looked at Kelly questioningly as Manning took the last snap and kneeled down, running out the clock. She pouted and shook her head, then shrugged. Laughing, she said “Sorry, babe, but it’s not your night. A deal’s a deal.”

With 10 seconds left the teams met in the middle of the field to shake hands; one announcer said “I just can’t believe Manning found Welker that wide open!” The final second ticked off, and the girls froze, looking stunned.

“No fucking way!” Kelly exclaimed. “Are you fucking kidding me? With one second left?”

Sandy smiled, shrugged, and pulled off her shirt. “Oh, well; a deal’s a deal!”

++++++++

Making the story about a lost bet seemed too obvious, and my plan to have each character get a “wish” if their phrase was said was going to run way long. I played around with it a bit before hitting on this idea, sort of an adult version of “You Bet Your Life” with its Secret Word prize. Alex is certainly going to enjoy his bonus, I believe.

I know most people wouldn’t bother checking, but I have to confess I went over by 20 words. I added my 51 points from my predicted score to the 192 we were given for 243; my story clocks in at 263. I might have been able to shave off another three or four words, but I was going to be over no matter what and thought twenty would be a nice, round, even number. I almost made the same decision when I was 50 words over, so I should get some credit for my restraint.

And yes, my prediction is that the Broncos are going to win 27-24. I think 24 is about right for Seattle against the Bronco defense, but I keep waffling on the 27 for Denver. With Seattle’s defense, that number seems too high. But with Manning’s offense, that number seems too low. I just can’t wait to see all or your faces if Denver not only wins by that score, but also gets there with a last minute touchdown to a wide-open Welker. Then you’ll all be in awe of me!

Now go over to Tom’s site (Three Spelling Mistakes) to see his and everyone else’s stories this week!


4 comments: