Monday, December 9, 2013

Weekend Update

Happy Monday everyone. I had my little grumpy snit at the end of the week, and after a relaxing weekend I feel much better. No telling how long that will last, but so far so good.

Friday evening the wife, the niece and I went downtown for the local Christmas parade. I wasn’t so much in a bad mood by then as I was just shut down. The wife noticed and asked several times if anything was wrong and if I was mad at her, and of course I said no. At the parade I saw my cousin (who is one of my lifelong best friends) and a friend of ours who retired from the Navy recently (he was in for 25 years as a lawyer). It was good catching up with him and my cousin, and by the time the parade was over I was feeling better.

I didn’t talk to L all day Saturday, more or less by design. I would have responded if she’d sent me a text, but I didn’t have the desire to start a conversation. As this is unusual for me, the wife asked if we’d had a fight or something. I told her no, just sometimes I need a break from L’s bullshit. The wife understood (she doesn’t know everything, obviously, but she knows plenty about the “safe” stuff) and didn’t push it. I also removed L’s face book posts from my news feed; I didn’t unfriend her or anything, I just don’t need to constantly see what she’s posting.

L did text me early on Sunday to chit-chat about the weather (rainy and cold, light ice) and cooking and whatnot. She asked about my days off during the holidays and I told her that I had the week of Christmas off except that Monday. I mentioned that the wife and the niece both have to work every day except Christmas, and she said “that sucks for them but could be fun for you!” I let that go without comment and instead continued on from an earlier point in the conversation. Later she said she might have the Friday after Christmas off, and that she and I should do something together without everyone else knowing. I said we should try to make that happen, so she’s going to keep me up to date on her schedule.

I made two batches of crock-pot chili for dinner Sunday, and the smell of it cooking all morning and afternoon was driving us all crazy. I made two batches because my wife doesn’t like diced tomatoes, no matter how small, and she definitely doesn’t like spicy food. So I made a big batch the right way (adding a Serrano and jalapeƱo pepper and using the diced tomatoes) and a smaller batch for her; no heat and tomato paste instead of tomatoes. I hate the way it tastes with tomato paste, but she likes it pretty good.

Well, that was my weekend. How was yours?

2 comments:

  1. The chili sounds good - hot version, please. My wife is the same way when it comes to spices. She is Hispanic and doesn't like Jalapenos. How are we supposed to maintain stereotypes if she won't even eat slightly hot peppers?

    Maybe you not contacting L was all she needed to have that urge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not like spicy at all; even the fake "spicy" or "hot" sandwiches Burger King or Hardee's/Carl Jr were too much for me. But when I really started getting into cooking I realized the flavors that can be opened up with the right kinds of heat. I don't like hot just for the sake of hot and I disdain the novelties like ghost peppers and the like.

      If L and I do get to hang out, the possibility would be there for something to happen I guess, but it's just not something I can ever count on. I'm ok with that because I know she genuinely enjoys spending time with me, and I her, even when we're being more traditional brother and sister.

      Delete