Friday, December 13, 2013

FFF - But Then Again, Too Few to Mention - 12/13

This week's Flash Fiction Friday challenge: 275 words (nailed it), and we must start with the phrase "I could not believe what I was reading..." We were not allowed to use the words master, servant, postage, parchment, or poisson (French version), and we could earn bonus words by writing a wildly inappropriate letter to an on-line crush.

I opted not to try for the bonus, because nothing would be considered inappropriate by any of the on-line women I know. But I will say this: if you are a woman I have interacted with online in any way, I have imagined a scenario where we have sex together. Yes, even you! (And especially you!)I cannot include the pictures at this time because I'm finishing and posting this from work (which is dangerous enough) and I have no easy way to add the images. If I get a chance later from home I'll try to fix it then.

Meanwhile, go to Advizor's site (sorry, I can't link either) and read the other entries. As of this posting he hadn't yet posted his story, but when he does it's sure to be great!

On with the story!


I could not believe what I was reading. It was strange to see my lover’s words on paper instead of a phone or computer screen; her handwriting was surprisingly delicate, and easy to read.

Except the words weren’t easy to read.

My parents have threatened to stop paying for college unless I end our “unnatural, disgusting relationship.” We must desist at once, but only a while. I graduate next year and from that point on they cannot control me. I will no longer be in the will, but we’ll make do. Please wait for me, my love!

I did what I always do when I’m mad: I stripped naked and had two bottles of wine for dinner. Then I sat down and wrote my own letter.

You would put money before me, then? You would deprive yourself of my touch, my taste, my tongue for the coins your parents throw at your feet? If our love is of so little importance, then your parents are correct; this relationship is unnatural and disgusting. Wait for you? I shall never speak to you again!

I addressed and stamped the envelope (I didn’t know I even had stamps) and put the letter in the post box on the corner. When she returned for the fall semester, I’d already moved out of the apartment we’d shared with no forwarding address.

She tried once to contact me after she turned 21, but I ignored her. A friend told me she got married, as did I; she in Vermont, and Tikki and I in Maryland. We’re both happy, and that’s all that matters. Still, I often wonder what could have been.

5 comments:

  1. Great story! I think most everyone can think that of someone, "what could have been?". Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH! Have a little patience man, an 18 year old bride to mold and to shape, knowing that some day mom and dad would crack and shower their riches upon you. Patience. He should have followed my "Love Letter Rule" which states:
    No love letter (or hate mail) will be sent within 24 hours writing or before 8 hours of sleep has occured. Preferrably both.

    But, oh well, what might have been.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What might have been indeed.

    I can't say I don't understand the attitude of the young man in question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I didn't channel my inner woman as well as I thought; they were both women, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That makes much more sense... the two photos... unnatural... YES! Great take Rob!

      Delete