Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend Update

Good morning, and happy Monday! This weekend wasn’t particularly notable, but there were some highlights.

The wife worked Saturday morning so I had some morning time to myself. The niece was home, but she was still asleep so I was able to take care of my needs without interruption.

 Blondie, our girl dog, had surgery a few weeks ago to get rid of some bladder stones, and she’s doing well. I had to collect a sample of her pee to take to the vet, though, so that was a big highlight of the morning. Not! More got on my damn hand than in the cup! Fortunately, though, the vet said everything looks good and she is doing fine.

When the wife got home, we went to lunch and did some shopping and other errands. After that was all done, I’d just lit a cigar and was enjoying the comfortable weather when my Mom called. She said my step-father (who’s nearing 80) wasn’t feeling well, and was getting dizzy and week when he stood up, but didn’t want to go to the hospital. So would I come by and fix their internet? Like all the other women in my life, she knows how to push the right buttons to get me to do what she wants.

The wife and I drove out there and I “fixed” their internet. All I had to do was reset the router, which is something I’ve shown her a dozen times. I wouldn’t have gone except I wanted to check on my step-father and make sure he was alright. He’s fine, but his blood pressure gets too low at times; I told him to mention it to his doctor and see if his meds for high blood pressure needs to be adjusted. He promised he’d go this week. We went back home and I got to finish my cigar in peace.

I’d bought us each an 8 oz. NY Strip that Kroger had on sale when we were shopping earlier. They weren’t as thick cut as I’d normally like, but they wound up pretty tender and tasted real good. I brushed them with olive oil and used a salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and thyme rub I made up on the spot, and they were fantastic! Of course, the wife still smothered hers in ketchup!) I also grilled us a skewer of shrimp each, and the wife made a big pan of sautéed mushrooms and onions and pan-fried asparagus. It was a big meal, and very satisfying! We each had a few drinks to round out the night, and got to bed around midnight.

Sunday was more of the same; I mowed and weed-whacked the lawn, then the wife and I went for a nice motorcycle ride as we took care of some other errands. When we got home I enjoyed another cigar, then I fired up the grill to cook some chicken breasts. We weren’t overly hungry so I didn’t prepare a big side dish, but we did have more grilled asparagus. We shared a bottle of wine later and I got to watch the Hall of Fame preseason football game (go Cowboys!) We got to bed a little late, but I woke up feeling pretty good and ready for the week ahead.

So how was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment