Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Next Mr. Rogers

On a whim this past Friday evening, I decided to see if I could make it all the way home without succumbing to road rage. It may not seem like a big feat to some of you, but I was proud of not once in the 30 minute drive shaking my fist and/or screaming at the numerous idiots (especially truck drivers!) that litter the busy interstate I use to get home. I arrived in a calmer and far less stressed than usual.

Saturday, and even into Sunday I continued, not only controlling my anger when driving but also when walking through Wal-Mart and Kroger, and even when dealing with other people, including the wife. I reminded myself that the worst thing to come of most transgression was minor inconvenience to me. Moreover, my shouting and screaming and hard glares don’t accomplish anything; the only behavior I change is my own, and never for the better.

Surprisingly, I went the whole weekend without letting the little things get to me. I didn’t raise my voice in anger or give myself a headache. I did feel a little flat, to be honest; I’m so used to the flares of anger punctuating my days that it just felt a little weird to not have them.

I will certainly fail from time to time in my resolve to control my anger; I am still me, after all. But I will strive to remain more patient and not let my emotions be dictated by the actions of others, no matter how annoyed I get. It is certainly less frustrating this way, if nothing else.

I did get angry with a phone representative earliertoday. Well, I wasn’t angry at her, of course, but at the company she represents. The medical lab that analyzed my blood work from my last physical had sent a bill for the remainder of what I owed on the bill (less what insurance paid.) I paid it through my Health Savings Account (HSA), and somehow despite the lab cashing my check, they didn’t get it posted to my account. Now they’ve sent my account to collections, and they’re making it my responsibility to chase down the proof that the payment was made. There’s all kinds of wrong with this scenario, but I won’t get into it right now; otherwise I’ll just get pissed off and raging again and I really don’t need that.

The good news is, though I was pissed and annoyed, I remained calm if strained throughout the conversation. I didn’t completely refrain from making snide comments (I just said I’m still me), but I kept it under control for the most part. Honestly, I think Gandhi would have been challenged to maintain much more calm than I did under the circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. You are a better person than me. I can never keep it together when dealing with phone representatives, especially if they are in the health care industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughh..medical situations are the worst. I used to have to call Medicare for my dad. I would be pulling my hair in frustration! I was well and in my right mind, I cant imagine dealing with them if you were seriously ill.

    Im sure you would look totally hot in that sweater! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sillyone: I worked phone support for a major insurance company, and I know what it's like having your hands tied by policies, and being yelled at for things that aren't under my control. I try to remember that when I have to deal with them.

    Simplicity: you just want to see the sweater crumpled on the floor at the foot of your bed! ;)

    ReplyDelete