Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Passions

I’ve just finished reading the first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles, and am saddened by the fact that the third book won’t be coming out until sometime in 2014. So, desperate for something to read, I picked up a back copy of Reader’s Digest (don’t’ judge me!) I can usually cover-to-cover it in an hour or less because it’s 40% ads and 20% trite pap. The remaining 40% is also pap, but at least it’s not trite pap. I mostly just read it for the jokes and the centerfold.

I breezed through the May 2013 issue pretty quickly, but near the end there was a section on marriages. One of the sidebars was five questions a married couple could ask each other to see how much they know about each other. Most of them were fairly easy for me (after 24 years together, I’d hope so) but one took me off guard: Name five things that your spouse is passionate about (outside of your marriage and children) and that he/she could not do without.

The only obvious answer I could have about the wife is baseball, and if there is anything else I certainly don’t know about it. That’s not what surprised me, though; what surprised me is that I can’t think of five things that I’M that passionate about.

The only two that come to mind right now are reading and writing, both of which I love to do. But could I live without them? Maybe not reading, but as much as I enjoy writing for now, it could well be a passing fancy just like the other hobbies I’ve started and sputtered on. Golfing, bowling, playing guitar; I’ve been passionate about those and other things in the past, only to lose interest after a time. I still pick up the guitar now and then, but not for long. Writing, whether it’s this blog, short stories, songs, etc, is fun and important to me now, but historically I know that can fall away as easily as the other things. (I get passionate about people as well, but I don’t think that’s what the question is pointing to. Plus, no way I’d want to explain that to the wife.)

But am I unusual? Outside of your marriage and kids (if applicable), are there five things you feel that passionately about that you either couldn’t or wouldn’t want to do without them for any length of time? Are you like me; can you discard former interests easily, without much (if any) anxiety?

6 comments:

  1. I think that last question is a good one. And would stump me too!! My husband likes baseball, sports, etc. but really that's it. I couldn't begin to guess what he's passionate about and we've been together 25 years!
    I love to read, would never want to do without that. And I totally understand you when you said you get passionate about people, because I do too.
    There's plenty I love to do, but I've often gone months without it too. I think it's fairly normal. Either that rob or you and I are the two nuttiest people in the world and everyone else is normal. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think reading is about the only thing I couldn't imagine not doing for any length of time.

      Maybe it was the article that was nuts. Five passions? At once?! Who has time for that?!

      Delete
  2. I think I am right there with you. My hobbies and interests come and go. Even my blog, only two months in, is starting to fade in my interest. The only constant is reading. I loved the Kingkiller Chronicles and can't wait for the third to be out. How many types of silence can you describe?

    Try the Warded Man series by Peter Brett. It wasn't as good as Patrick Rothfuss, but I still liked it.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can describe three if I have the book in front of me. Otherwise, none accurately.

      I'll definitely look into that series, Sillyone. I see there's 3 of 5 already written, so I may wait until the series is complete before I dive in. I don't like to wait a long time for the next book, especially if there will be more coming.

      That's why I have no intention of finishing the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. It's been too long since I finished book 5, and 6 is nowhere in sight. I'll have forgotten everything by the time it comes out, and they're too ponderous to re-read.

      But I'll keep that on my radar. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. I mostly just read it for the jokes and the centerfold.

    I got a chuckle out of that.

    Geeze, it is interesting but the few things I am passionate about, are things that I prefer to do without my wife. But I certainly can't think of 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love riding my motorcycle, and I enjoy having the wife riding behind me. Other than that, I'm with you; most of my hobbies I prefer to pursue without her.

      Delete