Monday, April 15, 2013

Weekend Update

Good morning, and how was your weekend? Things went well here; the weather was nice and I got some yard work done. I got a bit of a sunburn on my arms and legs, but that's just the base for a good tan I'll get this year.

The college kids who live behind us had a big party Saturday for alumni weekend. They had a live band, plenty of beer, and one of the parents organized a crawfish boil (he is, of course, from Louisiana.) Normally I'd have sat in my yard and resented all the noise and grumbled about those damned kids but they invited the wife and I over and, against my normal instincts, we decided to go.

And we had a pretty good time. I'd never eaten crawfish before, but one of the parents showed me and the wife how to get at the meat in the tail. Only the really hardcore ate any other part of the critter, like the head, and I'm not hardcore; I stuck to the tails. It wasn't bad, but it's a lot of work for a small amount of meat. I guess that's why they cooked 300 lbs of the things, though. Along with they crawfish, they boiled small potatoes and a delicious spicy sausage, so we got plenty to eat.

And the band was very good, too. They played a kind of easy going, jazzy rock-and-roll. It was a nice, spring day so all the young college girls were wearing light sundresses, some of them short enough to make me awfully glad it was a breezy day and they were drunk enough not to care. I love thongs!

The wife left at 5:00 to go to the baseball game but I stayed another hour or so, talking to some of the kids. I wound up drinking too much, but I don't think I made an old-man fool out of myself or anything. And now they know me as Rob, instead of just the asshole who yells from his back door to cut the music down or put that fire out (in the past they've had open fires near the fenced area where all the trees and bushes grow.) And I know them as Gil and Chuck and Tim and Baxtor, and not just the damned kids making all that noise and mess.

Sunday I mostly just stayed around the house, recuperating from drinking too much the day before. Despite being home and having stopped drinking by early evening, I was still drunk when I stumbled to bed at 9. I slept until 6:30 Sunday morning and felt better than I had a right to, but still not great. All-in-all, though, it was a good time.

3 comments:

  1. You know, if everyone would just get to know their neighbors, life would be better. And the fact that you didn't whip out your camera and try to take a bunch of up-skirt shots proves your not such a bad "old" guy to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good time!! And I agree, if we all got to know our neighbours, life would be easier, more fun. ;)
    You're not a dirty old man....that made me laugh tho!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm a dirty old man alright. I just avoided making it obvious this time, lol.

      Delete