Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Weigh in

Not a good week, diet-wise. I didn't eat well all week, using one excuse after the other to eat more than I should, especially in the evening. I also drank more this week than I should have, which makes it harder to exercise control over my snacking. I didn't monitor my calorie intake at all, but kept telling myself "oh, I haven't been THAT bad today" while making vague mental notes of what I'd eaten. I also fooled myself into thinking the half hour each day at lunch I spent throwing ball with some of my softball teammates made up for the overeating. Not that the exercise, such as it was, wasn't good, but it won't compensate for over indulging.

So I'm up this week:

253.6    +1.8

I know I shouldn't tie my self-worth into my weight, but I do. I especially tie it into my ability to lose weight, because (in my mind) that's an indication of my discipline; my willpower.  For all the other things that are wrong with me, I should be able to control something as simple as how much I eat, and therefore how much I weigh.

This week I'm going to make an effort to get back into some kind of exercise program, either consistently walking in the evenings or getting on the elliptical or something. And I'm going to get back to tracking my calories. I tell myself when I make a home-made meal that it's too hard to figure out portion sizes and calories, but it's really not. I have to take responsibility and get this shit under control.

~~~

Tonight's the first home game for the local lower-A baseball team, and the wife is excited. I know in one way she would love for me to go with, but she knows I'd be cranky and bitchy the whole night so she won't push it. I'm looking forward to having some time to myself anyway, and I really hope the niece will find a way to get out of the house for the night.

9 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself. I feel the frustration. I give up sugar almost a month ago - just cut out all the candy and sugary stuff, no sugar in my coffee or tea, etc. I thought surely the weight would begin to just melt off. I have lost several pounds without trying, but I'm roughly the same height/weight as you, and I know how awkward it is to look this chunky!

    I wish my wife would pick up a hobby to get her out of the house during the evenings. I'd write a book if I had that much free time to myself. And probably whack-off quite a bit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror sometimes, especially a side view, and it just deflates me. Two years ago I was at 220, and though I didn't look great, I was pretty content. I just don't know why it is that every time I get my weight down, I screw it up and put it right back on!

      I love that the wife will be going to the games. I hate that when she's home she'll still be "at the games" in her own little world.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if this will help or not, but a few years ago, I found that I was packing on the pounds, and tried to cut back on the food intake. It was so much harder than I ever thought it would be.

    I read this book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips.....it was all the rage back then.

    It really boils down to diet and excercise, along with builing a little muscle mass to burn calories and increase your metabolism, but he put it in such a way that made it seem achievable.

    Now 13 years later, I've just turned 50, and I'm in pretty good fucking shape. It's not so bad either. I cut out a few things, like fast food and bread, but I don't really miss it.

    My point is, read the stupid book. What can it hurt? It worked for me, and it's just basic common sense anyway, just put in a way that I could finally understand, and put into practice.

    Good luck Rob.

    Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack, and you know what? I will read the stupid book! ;) Seriously, I'll look for it this evening and give it a shot.

      And you look damn good at 50, by the way.

      Delete
  3. I strongly suggest that you hire a professional to help you to achieve your goals. I benefited greatly from having a pro sit and discuss my strengths and weakness', then devise a food & exercise plan set just for ME! I mentioned earlier that I lost 22 lbs. of body fat to this process. Meet with them a few times and you will see a world of difference. And for the record, I'm older that all of you. :) Good luck!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack. I know you're right about the benefits of having a pro, and maybe I do need to give that some serious thought.

      I doubt I'd ever be able to get my body to look like yours, and I'm actually ok with that. My primary motivation for weight loss now is lowering my cholesterol and fitting into pants I can't wear right now, lol. But I do want to look better too of course.

      Delete
  4. CR,
    The primary goal of any fitness program is not to have a certain kind of body but to improve ones general health. I think it's extremely difficult to do anything to goal without a plan & guidance.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete