Monday, May 12, 2014

Weekend Update

Happy Monday, everyone. My weekend was much the same as always; the wife went to baseball games while I stayed home and smoked a cigar, read, and drank. A good friend was in from out of town, and Friday he and I got together for dinner. Others were supposed to show up but they all bailed. He and I had a great time catching up and talking (mostly about music.)

Also I got some yard work done, and started a little on the project to patch up my driveway. As it happens, I don’t think I used to right patching material for what I have, but I’ll let it set a week or so and see how it works. I really just need to pull the trigger on having the whole driveway redone, but I don’t have the money for that right now. (I’m assuming I don’t, anyway; I haven’t really looked into how much it would cost.)

If you’re into football, this was a big weekend as the NFL had its annual draft. The only team I really care about is the Dallas Cowboys, and I’d say their draft was a little above average. They picked up some defensive help, which they sorely need, and shored up the offensive line. I still don’t see us in the playoffs this year, but that’s because I’m a cynic when it comes to… okay, just about everything but especially about the Cowboys.

If you’re into equality this year’s draft was big for another reason; Michael Sam was drafted in the 7th round (249th overall) by the St. Louis Rams. He was four or five spots away from being “Mr. Irrelevant” (the actual title given to the last person drafted every year.) So what makes him so special when I couldn’t tell you the names of anybody else drafted in the 7thround, including the five guys my own team picked? Sam is the first openly gay player to be drafted in the NFL.

Several months ago, Sam came out as gay prior to the start of the combines and other events college players go through before the draft. Some say it was a publicity stunt, designed to raise his draft status (and therefore earn him more money.) He was projected to be a fourth rounder, give or take, and as a good-but-not-great defensive end probably couldn’t have expected any kind of publicity to move him more than a few spots. If he just wanted to draw attention to himself, though, it certainly worked. If he washes out of the NFL (which is always possible, even for players who are expected to succeed) the publicity could pave the way for a lucrative career as a sports analyst.

Others say he was brave for coming out, as it could have (and probably did) negatively affected his draft status. I don’t think he was necessarily brave for declaring himself gay, though I do applaud him for doing it. It was more smart than brave; many of his teammates in Missouri knew he was gay (and he formally came out to them last August, before the season had started; now THAT’S bravery), so it made sense for Sam to make the announcement himself instead of waiting for it to come out from others, as it inevitably would have.

His falling to the seventh round isn’t terribly surprising, despite his projection as a fourth rounder. There were some questions about his size, and his skillset is more in line with a 4-3 defense, and even then likely as a backup at first. But there’s no doubt he dropped at least in part because of his coming out ; teams won’t say it publicly, but few want the distraction of a spotlight shining on an otherwise “in the trenches” kind of player who may well not make the cut. The Rams will be second guessed no matter what they do at this point; if they cut him, many will say they kept a lesser player and cut Sam because he’s gay. If they keep him, many will say they cut a better player to make room for Sam only because he’s gay.

Sam probably won’t be a star player, nor will he be a total washout; he’s more likely destined to be a solid, reliable backup who gets work when the starter needs a breather or gets injured. A guy like that can expect to make a few million over an average career span of five years (barring injury) and maybe shuffling around to a few different teams along the way, but remain in relative obscurity.

I’ve seen a number of comments online from people who claim that they don’t care that he’s a homosexual (which means they obviously do care) but resent all the attention he’s getting “just because he’s gay.” It’s a fair point; outside of his being openly gay, there is nothing (as yet) remarkable about Sam as a player. But he deserves the attention he’s getting and any benefits that comes from it.

There are certainly gay players in the NFL now, but they remain closeted out of fear of what it would mean for their careers (among other reasons). But there will be a time when an NFL player’s sexuality is no more noteworthy than their hair color, and that will be good for society as a whole. Acceptance of homosexual players in sports will lead to acceptance of homosexuals in general.

That level of acceptance is still likely several years away, but Michael Sam, who may ultimately have no lasting impact on the NFL as a player, has probably ensured that it will happen sooner than it otherwise would have. I could only ever dream to have that kind of impact in my life! So yes, no matter how mediocre (or worse) a player Sam may be, he deserves the attention.

5 comments:

  1. I think any "first" is under a lot of pressure to represent the whole group behind that "first." The first woman, first gay, jew/christian/muslim, first under/over some age, first amputee, first leprechaun, you get the picture. Everyone in that group looks to that person to represent them well. And that person wants to represent that group wll. The problem is that Jackie Robinson was an amazing baseball player as well as the first African American baseballe player in the Major Leagues. Not every 'first' can be like that. Most firsts are just like the rest of us, but by timing or circumstance or situation they got thrust into the spotlight.

    I hope this guy does well because he is under terrific pressure to do well, and because he comes across as a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now may Mr. Sam slide back into the obscurity that 7th round draft picks who are "destined to be a solid, reliable backup" deserve. I agree with everything you say, Rob. I'm just kind of tired of it now. It's been blowing up my Twitter feed for days! HAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly you can't tell me there hasn't been gay players in the NFL before. They just weren't out. I sincerely hope Michael Sam succeeds and that he's not defined by just his sexuality.

    But....the Cowboys? Really? I'm a big time Steelers fan, just so you know. Eesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why ya gotta be hatting on the Cowboys, AC? I think the bigger draft story is the Johnny Football disappointment (And the Cowboys had a chance with him, too.)

    As for Mr. Sams, I was just impressed with how Coach Fisher handled it - yes this is historic, but we're here to talk about football. I also appreciated that ESPN showed the kiss. The NFL players who were going to freak out made their comments and the NFL quickly took action to get them in line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, as I've heard countless times, the Cowboys were on the phone with Shazier when he got picked by the Steelers. WOOT!

    I hate every team that isn't my Pittsburgh Steelers.

    ReplyDelete