Friday, May 16, 2014

FFF - 5-16-14 - Second Thoughts

Word Count:    275
Bonus Words:  Tell us about her high school
Required Phrase:    Not Now Mom!!!
Forbidden Word:    Wedding 
Extra Credit:
Don't take the obvious route for the week.

It didn’t take long for regret to sink in. “Marry in haste; repent in leisure.” Jasmine heard the words as clearly as if her mother were sitting beside her. Even in death the woman was a first-class nag.

“Not now mom!” she muttered. Jasmine needed to think, but she knew she couldn’t remain in the guest room she’d run to in her panic much longer. Mark (“My husband!” she thought, incredulously) would start looking soon, and eventually he’d find her; it would go better if she went to him.

She shivered as the cool air caressed her naked skin. She wasn’t exactly sure why she’d suddenly grown so frightened when he helped her out of her dress, but the imperative to run was too strong to resist. She’d only dated Mark for two months when he asked her to be his bride, and she’d readily, giddily agreed. Looking back now, it was like she’d been under a spell...

“Oh, fuck!” Jasmine gasped. Of course it was a spell! There was no other explanation for everything that had happened; agreeing to go out with a man who, only a week earlier, she’d found loathsome; tossing Jake, her high school sweetheart, aside like so much garbage; systematically turning from her friends and family as they questioned her erratic behavior.

But what had broken the spell? She thought back over the day to pinpoint when everything had changed, when her eyes had opened. It wasn’t when the dress first came off; she’d been feeling strange for at least several moments before that.

Then it dawned on her; the necklace Mark gave her on their first date! It was some fancy-dress affair, and he’d “loaned” her a beautiful, black diamond necklace. Looking back, she recognized that moment as when she’d fallen helplessly in love with him. When he took it off her, the spell was broken. So then why did he take it off, knowing that she would no longer be enthralled? He must not have known; he must have assumed the spell would hold even without the necklace. Unless…

Unless he wanted the spell broken, so Jasmine would know exactly what she’d gotten herself into. He’d once told her “I feed off the despair of others!” At the time she thought that was just a metaphor, and a half-joking one at that. Now the frightening realization was donning on her that he might have been completely literal.

“Jasmine, my sweet,” Mark called from the master bedroom. Jasmine shivered, and wondered why she’d never noticed how greasy and reptilian his voice was. “Do hurry back, love. I’m anxious to consummate our… union!”

Oops, I was a little late getting my story up this week, but here it is. I'm not entirely happy with how this turned out; it's the story I had in my head as I wrote it, but I couldn't get the right tone. And I'm way over the word count, but I'm not sorry so there!

Now get over to Advizor's site and read all the other great, sexy entries!

7 comments:

  1. From the looks of it. The twist was too fast and it revealed too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I was trying to at least stay in the same zip code as the word count, lol.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if writers are ever truly happy with what they put out. I really enjoyed this story. It's definitely the start of a much longer piece, I think. And I'd love to read it when you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How hilarious, I haven't read it all yet. But yours and mine have the mother as a dead talking ghost !!! Is that uncanny?!!!
    OK will continue reading now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reptilian voice has so many possibilities, it is the beginning of a thriller. The Secret of the "Black Diamond Chandelier Necklace" !
    So funny and the Mother was a nagger too... We must have great mothers !!!

    ReplyDelete