Monday, May 5, 2014

Weekend Update

Happy Monday everyone, and if you celebrate it, happy Cinco de Mayo! Thanks to everyone for your comments on last week’s post about the kittens; I hope everyone knows I was kidding about the “hero” thing, though. The real hero is V, as far as I’m concerned. By the way, I spoke to her this morning and she said they’ll get updates here and there on the kittens and will pass them on to me, which means I’ll most likely pass them on here. Word of warning, though: she said the lady who took them said two of the kittens are extremely week; brace yourselves.

It was a moderately busy weekend; we went to see my parents and did our shopping chores. The wife had a haircut appointment, and while she was doing that I mowed the lawn. Afterwards we went riding while we looked for some things she needed/wanted. When we got home I started on dinner; I grilled us a couple of steaks and for the first time I baked potatoes and cooked corn on the grill. The potatoes could have used another five minutes, and the corn maybe another minute or two, but the steaks were absolutely perfect! I usually do okay with grilling steaks, but these were by far my best effort.

Sunday I started a project that I’ve needed to do for the past two or three years. Our driveway has cracks, some of them pretty darn big, and one area where the wife has to get in the mud to park so I can get my Pathfinder out in the mornings. I dug out the grass and a little of the dirt from that area and filled it with concrete, and later we’ll put some driveway patch there and the other cracked areas. Then in a few weeks I’ll get some driveway sealer and seal the whole mess up, and hopefully be done with it for a year or so.

I don’t really go out of my way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo; I’m not a Mexican, and the battle they won that day didn’t really have any overall effect on the war with France, which Mexico lost. But I’m not opposed to getting good deals at Mexican restaurants in America that capitalize on American’s who otherwise wouldn’t care about May 5th but who like getting good deals at Mexican restaurants. Since the wife is going to a game tonight (if it doesn’t rain), we decided to go to our favorite Mexican place yesterday for dinner. And despite the fairly high winds, we decided to go on the bike. Dinner was great, and the ride afterwards was really nice.

That was my weekend; how was yours?

By the way, my buddy Simplicity is starting her new job today; if you get time, go on over and wish her well. http://simplensexy.blogspot.com/2014/04/highs-and-lows.html

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!! I survived the 1st day back in the "real world".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually lived in Puebla, Mexico for a while. Nobody celebrates Cinco De Mayo. It's strictly a U.S. celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the people in San Antonio use it here to cap off two weeks of Fiesta!

    ReplyDelete