Monday, September 16, 2013

Weekend Update

Happy Monday, everyone! My weekend was pretty good, all things considered. Friday night we met my cousin at a local watering hole and waited for other people from our class to show up. It was our 30th reunion, and they were coming after the home coming game which we chose not to attend. I also didn't go to the dinner Saturday or the brunch Sunday, but that's because I'm a curmudgeon.

I saw a few people there that I remembered (other than the ones in the area that I keep in touch with anyway), and a lot more people that I didn't remember and who didn't remember me. That's cool; I wasn't one of the popular ones in high school, and didn't try very hard to get along with others who weren't in my circle of friends. And I find that there's a reason I didn't bother keeping in touch with them.

I managed to avoid spending too much money, or even a bad hangover Saturday morning, which is good because after doing our Saturday chores and visiting my mom and step-father, we drove down to visit L. We went to Greensboro NC to walk around the big farmer's market they have there, and as usual L and I spent the day making each other laugh while the wife had that "I'm not with them" look on her face. More than once, as we stopped at booths and talked to the proprietors about their wares, it was assumed that L and I were the couple and the wife was the tag along. This happened even when the wife and I were holding hands, or standing closer together than I was with L. We laughed about it at the time, but secretly I loved it.

A friend of hers from work was helping out some people she knew at a popcorn booth, and one of the owners of the booth also thought we were the couple. Her friend then said "Oh, is this the brother you keep talking about?" L said it was, and the girl said "I've heard a lot about you!" I said "It isn't all true!" and she said "Oh, half of it is good stuff." I said "that's the part that isn't true!" The wife and I got home around 9 Saturday night, had a few drinks, and I was barely able to keep my eyes open so we went on to bed. Again, I avoided a hangover and got some much-needed sleep.

Later Sunday morning L and I were texting before the wife got up, and talked about people thinking we were the couple. It turned out she kind of liked it too. I said we made a cuter couple than 95% of the people we see, and she said "I know! But I'm 90% of that and you're 5%!" She said she was just kidding, though actually there's a good bit of truth to that I suppose. I told her that I loved that her friend said she (L) talked about me so much at work, and L called me goofy, but with a smiley face.

Sunday we went to my step-father's family reunion, which I really didn't want to do but we went because it makes my mom happy. I don't know most of the people there, although I see them every year. The problem is, that's the only time I see them, so I can't remember names nor do I have anything in common with them. But it's free food, so I can't complain too much.

Afterwards, I went to the old office to hang out with my former partner. I'd told him about L early on, as he was one friend I knew I could confide in without judgement. In fact, he had similar relationships when he was younger with cousins of his, so he could understand. I caught him up with all the doings since we'd last had a chance to talk, which has been close to a year. Oh, we've hung out in those times, but haven't had time for private conversations.

I didn't tell him anything about the bi stuff; I've been tempted to mainly because I appreciate his insight on things, and I don't think he'd judge me too harshly. And there's the possibility (based on things he's told me about his past) that something could happen between us if he knew, but in no way is that a definite thing. And I'm not sure I would want to when it really came down to it. Still, I've considered telling him just to see what would happen. So far I haven't had the courage to do it, though.

Maybe I'll just send him to this blog and let him find out that way.

How was your weekends?

1 comment:

  1. My weekend? It wasn't much of a weekend. I drove kids to various events, cleaned the house, and worked. I need to find another job - one that does not require a 70 hour work week.

    ReplyDelete