Monday, March 31, 2014

Weekend Update

Happy Monday everyone. This week finally promises to be more spring-like, and hopefully I’ll get a chance to ride my bike with the new seat soon!

Speaking of, the new seat came in Friday afternoon just after the wife got home from work. It’s a good thing she was there, as she watched the driver getting ready to take it to the wrong house. She stepped outside and asked him which house he was looking for and he said 726 blahblah street. She saw the box he was carrying had the brand name of the seat we’d ordered, and she told him that he was actually looking for 723 blahblah street. He looked at the address again and said “oh. I guess I should have worn my glasses.” The wife said his glasses were on his head. (The really fucked up thing is that, like every other street in the US, ours is odd numbers on one side, even numbers on the other. He was going to take the box to a house on the same side as ours.)

Anyway, I got home and the seat was fine and I installed it in a matter of minutes. I sat on it a bit, but it was too cold and windy to be able to ride anywhere. Again, hopefully the weather will be nice enough this week to ride in to work a few days and I’ll get to see if the seat will be as comfortable as I’m hoping it to be.

I came in to work Saturday morning in what was supposed to be me just sitting around supporting the installers for our new VOIP phone system. We were supposed to get a team in to do the work while I was here to babysit. The “team” was one guy who, though very proficient with the hands-on portion of taking out the old equipment and putting in the new equipment, was less knowledgeable about VOIP systems and how the interact with the network than I am. Together he and I were able to get all the hardware portions done on our end, but it’s a good thing I have enough background to understand the instructions.

The biggest problem was (and still is) the person responsible for the project. The job isn’t finished because all the programming necessary for everything to be working correctly hasn’t been done. He’s in Houston and though he obviously knows the technology part of his job, he is not very good at managing projects. And it doesn’t help that he’s buried under more projects than he can possibly manage and either doesn’t have any subordinates to delegate to, or doesn’t do a good job of delegating.

Either way, I’m pissed because I was here for 10 hours Saturday and we still aren’t done. I was prepared to come in Sunday to finish it, but the project manager never contacted me to let me know if the programming part had been done. That pisses me off more than anything; I put any plans we had on hold in case I needed to come in. If he was going to blow it off and not get anything done, he could have at least told me and I could have relaxed a bit more.

The niece’s move has been pushed back to next week, which means another shot weekend as we help her move her junk over there. But it will be worth it to have our house back to ourselves again.

That’s it for my weekend; how was yours?


4 comments:

  1. I do hope spring is here for good. Hope you can get out and ride!

    As for me...sat around the house. Raining. Ugly outside. Watched TV and blogged. REALLY need to get out of this rut, though I have some plans for the next 2 weekends in a row.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rode to work this morning and it was a cold 40! But it's worth it for the ride home this evening in the 70s.

      Delete
  2. Don't you hate when other people aren't prepared to pull off their end of the job? I hope you at least got overtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always said a good 70% of the stress in my life is due to having to rely on other people do what they are supposed to do. But yes, I'm hourly so I got some great overtime.

      Delete