Friday, March 14, 2014

Two More Weeks

Finally I’ve gotten some good news and have something to look forward to. The niece has found an apartment and will be moving out at the end of the month. That’s the plan, anyway; I sure hope nothing fucks that up.

I love the niece, don’t get me wrong, and I’m glad we could help her out when she needed a place to stay. But what was supposed to be just a few months turned into over a year. Our house is kind of small, with only a full bath and a half bath downstairs (and I’m really the only one who uses that one). Plus, she’s 22 and has all the traits of a kid that young that are annoying to old farts like the wife and I.

The biggest stress of her being there for me has been the wife, though. Everything the niece does wrong, no matter how minor, becomes a drama for the wife. Not that she says anything to the niece about it; I have to hear about “her goddamn hair is everywhere” and “she didn’t wash her cup” etc. Instead of acting like an adult and talking to the niece calmly about what she expects of her, the wife fumes and bitches to me about it. I speak to the niece and ask her not to do whatever and she complies, but the wife then finds a new thing to bitch about. I won’t miss that! (Though to be honest, once the niece is gone I’m sure I’ll here about other things.)

Anyway, it’s a two-bedroom apartment that the niece is hoping to move into the last weekend of March. Her oldest brother is being released from the half-way house he’s been in since his jail term was done (drugs and other stupid things), and they’ll be sharing it. He’s clean now because of his incarceration, and swears he won’t fall back into that stuff, but the niece has nonetheless made it clear that she will kick him out on his ass if he brings any drugs there.  That’s the reason she made sure whatever place she got she could afford on her own if need be, because nobody really trusts the nephew to stay clean for long. We all hope we’re wrong, but we’re realistic about it too.

Have a good weekend, y’all.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the wiggle room! And I get you with the nephew, you want to be hopeful, but the reality is a whole other story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how these things work? A few months always means a year. And never lend money to a relative - just give it to them as a gift because you aren't getting in back!

    So can we expect the house to become a nudist camp in two weeks?

    ReplyDelete