Monday, June 3, 2013

Weekend Update

Happy Monday! 

Outside of the obvious doings from Friday, this weekend has otherwise been pretty sedate. The wife and I rode the bike around the valley Saturday, and it was mostly a beautiful day for it. It got pretty warm, but as long as we were moving it was enjoyable. She went to a game in the evening and I mowed the lawn and rewarded myself with a cigar. When she got home we had a few drinks then went to bed.

Sunday morning I made waffles for breakfast, with some sausage and bacon on the side. Not exactly a healthy breakfast, I know, but it's one of my favorites. Later the niece left for a while, and the wife and I took advantage of the time alone to have sex.

I cooked a rack of ribs for lunch, and I'm getting pretty good at that. I wanted to grill them, but the weather didn't cooperate so I baked them in the oven. They still come out really tender that way, and with corn on the cob and some potato salad, it was a big meal. Some day I'll post my recipe for the ribs (the dry rub really makes the difference) if anyone's interested. And if you have a rub you really like, please let me know. I love trying different combination of spices.

Despite an off-and-on drizzle, the local farm team still played, so the wife went to the game and I smoked another cigar. When I got back inside, A Fistful of Dollars was just starting. I watched that while reading the second book of Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, a fantasy series that I'm really getting into.

Just a three day work week for me this coming week. The niece and I are driving to Baltimore Thursday to attend a concert that she wants to see (Frank Turner, whom I'm not very familiar with.) She doesn't want to go alone, and none of her friends want to go, so I somehow got roped into taking her. It will be a good adventure for the two of us, I suppose. She's a good kid, and very intelligent (she's my niece; how could she not be?) and I'm looking to spending the time together.

Back to the grind, people, at least for a little while.

3 comments:

  1. I'd be interested in the rib recipe. I do a pork rib thing using Adobo seasoning, Montreal chicken seasoning, teriyaki sauce with lots of lemon and lime squeezed on throughout the cooking process. Love them, but always open to other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! My rub is modified from one I found online that starts with a tbs cumin, a tbs chili, then paprika, salt, oregano and pepper, but I don't really measure those. The recipe called for brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and white pepper, but I didn't have those on hand the first time I made it. I also throw in garlic powder if I'm in the mood, and considering trying a small amount of curry next time. The chili and cumin give them a really good smoked flavor, too.

      Then in a 300ยบ oven for 2.5 - 3 hours, and 10 under the broiler with bbq sauce (or on the grill.) I wanted to do the whole cooking on the grill, like I said, but definitely next time.

      Delete
  2. Oh yea, I could see how that might work very well!

    ReplyDelete