Monday, November 18, 2013

Weekend Update

Happy Monday everyone; I can’t believe Thanksgiving is next week!

 This weekend could have worked out better; the niece went out of town Friday after work for a concert so the wife and I had the house to ourselves until late Sunday evening. Unfortunately, it’s shark week so we didn’t get to take advantage of the situation as much as we’d have liked. It was nice being able to walk around the house naked again, and leaving the door open while peeing, though.

I made Maryland Cream of Crab soup Saturday for dinner, and it came out pretty good. I didn’t like the bits of shell still in the crab; for what I paid for a pound of it, I wish it had been cleaned better. But it was tasty. The wife suggested that next time we use imitation crab and that I use half the other ingredients. I agree, as we wound up with way more soup than the two of us can eat, and now I don’t trust reheating what was left over. I’m sure health wise it’s fine because it’s been in the refrigerator; I don’t think it’ll taste very good, though, so I’m going to throw out quite a bit of it.

We both needed to get out of the house for a while after dinner, so we drove out to the mall and walked around some. Then the wife thought to look at some inexpensive jackets to replace the one she’s been wearing for seven or eight years and is pretty worn. We looked in two different stores but she couldn’t find anything that appealed to her, and my knees and feet started hurting something fierce, so we came on home and had a few drinks before heading to bed. We were both so stuffed from eating two big bowls of the soup (and Red Lobster cheese and garlic biscuits) that the alcohol wasn’t giving us the buzz we really wanted.

We did some more running around Sunday and wound up getting a few nice gifts for various people. The wife looked at some more coats, and though she found a few she liked she didn’t to spend as much as they’d cost. Personally I didn’t think they were too expensive, and told her, but she didn’t want them. I’m a cheap bastard when it comes to what I’m willing to spend on my own clothes, but I don’t mind her getting what she wants and needs.

For dinner Sunday night I used a recipe a Facebook friend of mine posted. He didn’t name the recipe, but it’s chicken breasts stuffed with cheese and coated with crushed Gold Fish crackers. Fried on both sides for browning then baked in the oven. It turned out really good, and I’ve already got some ideas of what I’ll do next time to make it even better. The cheese was a good stuffing, but I think it would be even better with cheese, ham, and mushrooms. Or perhaps a mushroom sauce over it. Yes, I know I’m basically describing a Cordon Bleu, but I’m not skilled enough of a cook to make Cordon Bleu. I am, however, skilled enough to make a chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and covered in a creamy mushroom sauce.

As an aside, I still think it’s funny that my favorite meal of all times was a chicken cordon bleu (French) served at an Italian Ristorante in the German town my wife grew up in.

At least this weekend I didn’t have to watch my Cowboys lose another game; they had their by week and didn’t play. I was hoping the Eagles and Giants would lose, but no such luck. Yes, that means I was nominally rooting for the Redskins, but I believe I can safely say that’s the last game they play this year that I’ll root for them. On the other hand, I’m not sure why I even care about what the rest of the division does. The Cowboys simply aren’t good enough to do anything with a playoff berth even if they squeak in.

How were your weekends?

1 comment: