Monday, August 25, 2014

Update

I haven’t had much to write about lately; in fact, it’s been some time since I’ve posted anything besides a flash fiction story. There’s been no real reason for this other than there just hasn’t been a lot happening worth posting about. But I thought I’d give a little update on how things are to date across several fronts, and talk about some things I’m happy/excited about.

My relationship with the wife has been… okay. We’re back in the same old rut as before, but it doesn’t bother me as much right now. I still get kind of pissed when she stays late at games on a work night, because we both have to get up early in the morning. But on those nights when she’s likely to be out late I stay in the spare room so she doesn’t wake me up when she gets in.

Otherwise, things really are okay with us. When she is around, we spend more time together, if that makes sense. She still gets on her computer and I still read a lot, but we try to pay attention to each other and take time to talk about things. We aren’t having a lot of sex, and when we do it’s the same old routine, but what are you going to do, right?

My relationship with L has been… okay. There haven’t been any spats, except the ones I act out in my head when I feel slighted (like finding out she and B were in town again checking out some local breweries but didn’t ask us to join them.) In contrast to this cold shoulder, there are other times when she’s really warm and sweet. There’s nothing overtly flirty, not enough that I could act on (even if it were to just call her out on it), but there are times it feels like there’s still a spark there for her. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

She and B are getting along well enough, and though she still thinks about S sometimes and gets sad, she’s slowly working through her feelings on that. She and B still have spats, but nothing like it was before (at least, not that she’s telling me.) They went to the beach a few weekends ago with L’s daughter and her girlfriend and apparently had a pretty good time.

Speaking of L’s daughter and her girlfriend, L confided to me that her daughter confirmed what we all pretty much knew anyway, that she’s a lesbian. It’s not surprising by any means, but L is having a hard time dealing with it. She loves her daughter and will stand behind her no matter what, but she does have a deep down feeling that same-sex relationships are wrong. I hope she gets over that, but as long as she’s there for her daughter I can’t really give her too much crap about it. Besides, L says her biggest issue with it right now is that she wishes her daughter would find someone, boy or girl, more suitable for her than her current girlfriend.

My relationship with everyone else is basically null. We tried to get together with several of our couples friends a while back, but they “weren’t available” whenever we’d ask. Then I’d see their post on Facebook about being out or hanging with so-and-so doing such-and-such. After a while I just stopped asking, or expecting them to ask us. shrug

For the past few weeks, we’ve been really strict about eating at home and not drinking during the week. We save money eating at home, and I don’t eat as much when I’m not drinking, which has a number of benefits (though significant weight loss is, to date, not one of them.) Plus, we’re not spending as much money replenishing the “bar”, and I wake up feeling better in the mornings.

I recently ordered a box of cigars online, which I don’t normally do. But when I have a chance to get a box of Partagas 1845 extra oscuro (dark wrapper) for less than $100, I’m going to jump on it. I got my favorite size, the 6” x 60 (gigante) and they are a really good smoke; a little peppery on the start but they mellow out after the first two inches. (I still prefer the Partagas Black Label, but they were just a bit out of my budget.) I’ve had three of them so far (out of 18) and they feel really consistent across the line.

The wife and I are going to Myrtle Beach in… let’s see, add the columns, carry the tens, subtract the mod of the square root of pi, 10 days. Going after the Labor Day weekend is so much less expensive, and we avoid a big part of the crowds. I can’t wait to get there and eat some real seafood! And sit on the beach in my camp chair, under my beach umbrella (sometimes) and smoking a cigar while the wife hunts for shark teeth. And I’m going to see if I can get her to flash truck drivers on the way down/back!

And we finally sprung to upgrade the stereo system in our main vehicle. The system that came with it is 10 years old (like the car), and though it gets XM/Sirius radio, that’s about all it does. The new one will be touch screen, and will connect to our phones via Bluetooth and the wife’s older iPod through an auxiliary jack. It should sound and work a heap better than the current one, especially considering how much it’s going to cost to get it put in!

I think that’s about all I’ve got for now. I won’t insult anyone’s intelligence by “promising to write more”; if I have something I feel inspired to write about, I will. I think I’ll be able to work with this week’s Flash Fiction Friday, so I should have a story up for that.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read an update. Interesting about L's daughter. I guess most people eventually come around once they actually know someone who is gay. There has been a post on FB making the rounds for the Bridegroom Movie. If people watch that and can't understand, not sure anything will help.

    I know this falls into the the "grass is always greener" category, but I say again, enjoy those nights alone when your wife is at the ballgames. Use the time knowing that your ol' buddy in Texas is tied tot he hip with his wife from the minute I get home until I get a few minutes alone in the morning before work!

    Enjoy the trip to the beach, and happy flashing!

    ReplyDelete