Friday, August 22, 2014

FFF - It Begins - 8/22/2014

Where did she come from?
Key Words: Wild, Found, Saved (use all three)
Word Limit: 300
Forbidden Words: Dirty
Bonus Words:  Let her speak, but it’s not going to be understood
Extra Credit:  When was the last time you played outside?
Sarah and Brian watched in stunned silence at the news report on television.

“John, officials say they have no idea how long the young woman, who appears to be in her teens, may have been living in the Jefferson National Forest. There is some speculation that she may have been abandoned there when quite young, perhaps even as a baby.”

“Why do they think that, Gary?”

“She hasn’t spoken, or attempted any form of real communication, meaning she most likely was never taught language. There are indications that she might have been saved and taken care of by… something, though, at least until she was old enough to survive on her own.”


“What the fuck, Brian! You told me you that… that thing was dead fifteen years ago!”

”What do you mean “something”, Gary?”

“The lair she is believed to have lived in contained some odd, um… figures, dolls maybe, made out of twigs and leaves and such. Also, the walls were covered in some strange markings resembling ancient runes.”


“I thought it was,” Brian answered. “It was stronger than we thought.”

“And it had help, apparently,” Sarah added.

”Gary, I guess the big question is how did she remain hidden for so long?”

“John, park officials tell me that the forest is huge, and large parts of it go unpatrolled because of how dense the vegetation is. If something, or someone, doesn’t want to be found, it won’t be. If she hadn’t stepped out on the ATV trail when a ranger was on patrol, they would have never found her.”

“Any idea why she came out now, Gary?”


“Because it’s time,” answered Brian.

“Can we stop it?” Sarah asked.

“Not anymore.”

There was a flurry of activity on the TV screen; the police were moving the wild woman from the wagon into the station, and the cameras were rushing forward to get a good look at her. Gary’s cameraman zoomed in tight on the thing’s face, and she looked up into, then through, the camera. Sarah and Brian shivered as her gaze fell directly on them.

”Azuk tak a’tul qar. Uer tak a’tul haqar. Murq tak a’tul akum!”

Translation wasn’t necessary; they both knew the words of the prophecy. First I will kill the man. Then I will kill mankind. Last I will kill you!”

**************
These things always sound so much better in my head. By the time I get them written, they lose much of what I wanted them to say.

I'm over the word limit, but not by too awful much. Get over to Advizor54's site and read the rest of this week's entries.

3 comments:

  1. I love it. Mine was a complete bust this week because I had an image in my head that I couldn't boil down below the word limit. i had to, well, I'll have to try it again in a longer format. i thought yours was good, i got it, i got the "Oh shit, i thought she was dead" moment. that's always a good starting point. Thanks for writing and putting it out there. that's the fun of FFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that there are people dying and I'm not writing them! ;-)

    Great flash; leaves you with more questions than answers and that's good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete