Wednesday, April 9, 2014

It Only Hurts When I Move

As I wrote before, the wife and I finished our six-week weight loss boot camp last week, with some decent results. (She lost about the same weight I did, but more from her waist and hips.) The wife and I went to our first cardio jam class on Monday; cardiac jam (as Simplicity dubbed it) is very similar to Zumba in that I, as an awkward, fat, middle-aged white guy have no business doing it. I’m going to keep at it, though, because nobody laughed at me (though a few grumbled whenever I kicked in the wrong direction) and it’s a good workout. It’ll probably be even better when I get the moves down.

Last night the wife went to the home opener of our local baseball team, and I went to the CX WORX class. I don’t know what CX WORX is supposed to mean, or even how to say it correctly, but it’s a concentration of work around the “core” muscles in the torso. I was running behind and joined the class a few minutes late, but it still kicked my ass despite only being a total of 30 minutes. I’m going to keep going to that class because I think it will really help me, but I won’t eat beforehand anymore. I think the music was loud enough to cover my (ahem) noises while doing crunches, but someone might notice the odor if I’m not careful.

And I am getting results, even if it isn’t as quick as I’d like. But I focus too much on weight when other factors have to be considered as well. For instance, today I’m wearing pants I haven’t even been able to close since before Thanksgiving. Oh, they’re a bit snug, but I can still breath with them on and I don’t have an avalanche of fat hanging over them (at least not when I’m standing up.) If I lose another five pounds (just as a reference point) they’ll probably fit perfectly.

Tonight I’ll go in for some self-directed weight lifting (the wife will be at another game) and Thursday we’re both going to cardio kick class, which involved kickboxing moves. I’ll have to see if my knees can take that class or not. Friday will be more weight training and Saturday I’ll get on an elliptical for some low impact cardio. Sundays are “rest” days (though I’ll most likely be mowing and weeding and such.)

Whew! Getting healthy is going to kill me!

(Not really; I’m sore from the work, but not in a bad way. The work is hard but I can speed up or slow down as necessary to keep from injuring myself, and I pay attention to what the aches and pains are telling me. I just wanted to mention that in case you were worried that I’m biting off more than I can chew.)

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I love when someone takes the initiative to get in shape. I'm a Certified Personal Trainer and would love to answer any questions you might have in your quest to be fit. Feel free to email me any questions to; blk.jack33@gmail.com. All information will be kept confidential.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jack. How much stock do you put into the BMI? If I busted my balls and got down to 200 lbs, which was my best weight when I was in the Army, at 6'1" I'd still be well into "overweight" category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BMI is a crock of crap. It labels me as "obese" yet my heart rate is 48, my cardio is great (just finished a 1/2 marathon in under 2 hours), and if you let me keep my shirt on i look great. The BMI is also costing me $100s more for insurance because the insurance industry lobbied to get the BMI numbers to push people into more expensive "overweight' rates. That's my BMI rant.

    Congratulations on the workouts. Pace yourself, eat right, sleep more, and focus on having fun and watching the girls in class. not only will hey know all the moves, they are a lot better looking than what youi'll see in the mirror, and yes, even if no one hears you fart, they know just where it came from because we all know that women would never do that.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,
    Great question. When doing baseline measurements with my clients I use it as a guide in determining someone fit level. What I do use and stress is body fat %. I personally have a BMI of 25.5 but body fat % of 15. Does your health club offer free testing? Do they also offer a complimentary session? If so, I strongly recommend taking advantage of that session. Any other question?

    ReplyDelete