Sunday, March 29, 2020

COVID-19 Comes to the Rescue

Well, kind of.

L and I were texting Friday about the virus, and I was explaining why social distancing works to slow the spread and why that's desirable. (The fact that I have to explain this to a full-grown adult is kind of sad, though, but L ain't the sharpest bowling ball in the chandelier.)

Later she texted "I'll have to come visit again. But we gotta work on sissy [L and the wife's nickname for each other] letting [boyfriend] come over too. He does really like y'all."

I spent the next 30 minutes thinking about my response. She didn't explicitly say that she wanted the wife to be on board with letting her and the guy stay the night here, but I suspect that's what she was getting at. I wanted to ask to confirm, but it honestly doesn't matter because I don't really feel comfortable even just hanging out with them with the situation as is, much less having them stay here fucking all night again. Finally I just responded "yea, he seems to be an alright dude."

Yes, I am a coward.

I told the wife last night about the text, wanting to know where we'd stand on the issue if and when L asks if they can come by. The wife surprised me by saying that, for the time being she doesn't want anyone coming by or going out to meet up with people. She's worried about the increased infections in our state, and with both of us having jobs where we can't work from home, we really can't afford taking any more risks than necessary of getting sick.

I wasn't convinced at first, but she made a some good points and won me over. It was an almost surprisingly reasonable argument between us, both staying calm and making our points, and she stuck to her guns without shutting down. It was nice.

Just so that we would be clear, though, I asked her if we took out the virus concerns how she would feel about it. We both definitely agree that seeing L on her own was fine and the two of them staying here overnight was a hard stop "no." We'd both be uncomfortable with the two of them coming here for a visit, but maybe would meet them out somewhere else.

The wife also reiterated that she would be fine with any of it if and when L and B are no longer together, but until that happens she wants to stay out of the drama. And to that I wholeheartedly agree!

But thanks to COVID-19, I don't have to go into any of that with L for the next month or so. Based on her past history, the chances of all this not blowing up in some way by then are less than 50/50, so by the time I no longer have the virus excuse it may all be settled. Or is that just wishful thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment