Saturday, October 19, 2019

NAO Update 6 - A Close Call

I almost drank last night. I didn't, but it was a close thing. We had to get up early this morning because the wife is working, and that played a part in the decision not to drink. I'm glad this morning that we didn't drink last night, but again, it was a close thing.

Two weeks after the transmission went out in my vehicle, and one week after paying over $2200 to have it repaired, I got into a wreck yesterday (Friday) on my way home from work. I rear-ended a car in front of me right after merging onto the bypass; the driver of that car had to stop because wooden pallets were falling off the trailer in front of her.

Good news:

  1. Nobody was hurt.
  2. The responding officer didn't cite me for the accident because there really wasn't anything I could do to avoid it.
  3. The driver cited for "failure to secure load" has insurance, and it's not a fly-by-night outfit like SafeAuto (whom I have a personal grudge against.)
  4. This happened in my car, the 15 year-old beater, and not our newer vehicle.
  5. I was able to drive the car home, so it doesn't have to be towed
  6. We have another vehicle, so I'm not stranded. 
  7. I can ride my motorcycle to work, if necessary.
  8. I have some funds to buy a cheap, reliable replacement if necessary
  9. Nobody was hurt!

Bad news:

  1. I JUST PAID TO HAVE THE TRANSMISSION REPAIRED!
  2. I'll have to listen to the wife's passive-aggressive complaints about not having her car.
  3. The $2200 I spent on the transmission would have gone a long way towards getting a replacement.
  4. The at-fault driver's insurance may refuse to pay, saying that I should have been able to stop.
  5. If his insurance doesn't pay for my damage, they may try to not pay for the damage to the car I rear-ended.
  6. Even if his insurance pays, I'm sure they'll "total" my car, which means I'll get maybe $1000 tops (15 year-old car.)
  7. The dash-cam video I should have, which probably wouldn't have made any difference to insurance decisions one way or another, doesn't exist. The data on the card got corrupted somehow (cheap dash-cam cameras will do that) so there's nothing.
All in all, it could have been worse. 

After dinner, I was really tempted to drink, and the wife was all for it! But we knew we'd have to get up early this morning, so I was trying to convince myself that we'd just have one drink, maybe two at the most. I knew, though, that I wouldn't stop at two, and maybe not three. And even if I did stop at one or two, I'd feel like I'd wasted the excuse to drink. I know that sounds kind of fucked up, but it was that more than anything that led me to deciding just not to drink at all. I think the wife was a little disappointed, but like me, this morning she was happy that we'd stuck to our "NAO" pledge.

I'll write another update soon once I find out whether his insurance will pay for my damages, and what I wind up being able to do.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that completely sucks. I'm not kidding when I say a co-worker of mine had a pretty similar thing happen. He put in a $7,000 transmission into his just paid off Toyota Tundra, then got hit by another car two days later. Of course the insurance company doesn't care that he just spent the money on the new transmission. I feel for you.

    But the good news is, you stuck with the pledge for the month. Keep it up. Just the fact that you are talking yourself through these decisions is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad no one was hurt. And oh that so sucks about the lost money spent!

    ReplyDelete